Pages

March 13, 2009

Owl in the Yard

The Eastern Screech-Owl is a relatively small owl of eastern woodlands. They are fairly common where I live and I see them from time to time. Last night while outside I heard a screech-owl calling from a small woodlot behind my house. I could not locate the bird at all and it didn't help that he quit calling every time I would head his way.

Today while going out to get the mail I saw a couple nuthatches and a robin near a tree. They sounded distressed. I figured it must be the owl that I head the night before. The tree has a spot where an owl could nest or roost so I went up and checked it out.
I got up next to the tree and out pops an owl. I went inside to get the camera but when I came back out it was gone. He must have went back inside the hole. By this time the goldfinches showed up and the birds were everywhere in the trees above looking to see what was the matter. Eventually I gave up trying to find him since I had a test to get back to. I can't wait to find out if they are nesting. This was a nice surprise to raise my spirit during a long week of test-taking.

Other things of note in my yard today was a singing Harris's Sparrow and the first butterfly of the year.

No comments: